A feature-packed SSH and Telnet client with SFTP, RLOGIN support.
Xshell Free is a freeware terminal emulator with a strong eye for security, featuring support of all of the popular protocols like SSH (SSH1, SSH2), SFTP, RLOGIN, SERIAL and TELNET connections; it's a suitable client for access remote shells. Naturally, Xshell supports most encryption methods with key authentication.
As for terminal emulation, this application supports VT100, VT220, VT320, ANSI, XTERM, SCOANSI and LINUX. All of these terminal types may be opened simultaneously thanks to its multitasking support with tabs.
The features included with Xshell Free are geared towards security-minded individuals as it includes all of the features of the commercial version for home and educational users.
The main interface of Xshell is divided into the main terminal area to the right with a session manager on the left-hand side for quick access to sessions which can be saved for future access. An icon ribbon in the upper section provides shortcuts to create new sessions, access configuration, search, print, change the layout and fonts, encryption and more.
All in all, Xshell Free is a commercial-level terminal emulation application that's being made available to non-commercial users at zero cost.
Features of Xshell Free
- Authentication: Flexible authentication options including public key, password and Kerberos.
- Emulation: VT100, VT220, TN3270, ANSI and SCO-ANSI emulation.
- Encryption: Encrypt communication with AES, 3DES, Blowfish and RC4 algorithms.
- File Transfer: Built-in SFTP and Xftp clients.
- Keyboard: Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Logging: Comprehensive logging with customizable logging options.
- Printing: Print documents remotely.
- SSH: SSH2 protocol support for secure connections.
- Scripting: Automation with VBScript, JScript and Perl Script.
- Security: Secure communication through SSL/TLS.
- Session Management: Robust session management and customization.
- Telnet: Telnet and Telnet over SSL.
- Terminal: Support for multiple tabs, multiple windows.
- Tools: Macro recording and other tools for productivity.
- Tunneling: Local, remote and dynamic port forwarding.
Compatibility and License
Xshell Free is provided under a freeware license on Windows from SSH/telnet clients with no restrictions on usage. Download and installation of this PC software is free and 7.0.0141 is the latest version last time we checked.
What version of Windows can Xshell Free run on?
Xshell Free can be used on a computer running Windows 11 or Windows 10. Previous versions of the OS shouldn't be a problem with Windows 8 and Windows 7 having been tested. It comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit downloads.